This fall, all Kindergarten through 5th grade students will be invited to meet their new teacher and complete a brief learning assessment during a 30-minute Connect & Assess meeting on August 27 or 28. Families will find out the name of your child’s teacher in early August. At that time, you will also receive information about how to schedule the Connect & Assess appointment for your child(ren) using an online scheduling system. Instructions on how to make an appointment online will be emailed to parents and posted on your school’s website in early August.
These Connect & Assess meetings will take place on August 27 and 28, and will replace the regular “back-to-school night” activity. Daytime and limited evening appointments will be available.
What is Connect & Assess?
- Students and their parents/guardians will have the opportunity to connect one-on-one with their child’s teacher and meet other school staff. This begins a positive school-home relationship.
- Teachers will assess each student to learn about them as a learner/reader to gather some baseline information to begin personalized instruction as soon as the first day of school. These are not tests of ability or intelligence.
- Kindergarten students will take early-learning assessments in math and literacy.
- Grades 1-5 will complete a benchmark reading assessment to determine a child’s instructional literacy level.
- Families can drop off school supplies, pay for lunch, and complete or return school forms during this visit.